Monday, April 19, 2010

Bryn's Ladybug Birthday Cake

For Bryn's first birthday I decided to make a ladybug cake.  I got the idea from Cake Decorating Corner, but I couldn't find the right Pyrex bowls, so I searched ladybug cakes again and found Jenny Cisney's blog post.  I used her ideas for the body shape.

Here are some pictures of the cake, along with a basic idea of how I made it.


I used a 9" Pyrex bowl and a 9" round cake pan for the body, and a 2 cup Pyrex measuring cup for the head.   A double layer cake batch filled the bowl just right, and a second double layer batch was enough for the cake pan, the head (about 1 cup of batter, I think), and 6 cupcakes.

I used a half-batch of Wilton's Chocolate Buttercream Icing to glue the body pieces together - I made it pretty stiff.  I used Wilton's Buttercream Icing with strawberry juice reduction instead of milk, to start the red colour and to give it a strawberry flavour.  It took a lot of red food colouring (the good Wilton 'No-Taste' red gel) to get the colour so rich.  It didn't look red at first, but it turned quite red as I let it sit.  I made all the icing the day before.

I used black food colouring on another half-batch of chocolate buttercream icing for the face and spots.

I covered the body with a flat layer of red icing.  I then piped on the white (eyes), black and more red using star tips (#16 and #17).  It looked pretty neat with the flat red and just the spots and face done in stars. Next time I might make the flat red layer much thicker and just add the black with the piping bag.  It would sure have saved a lot of time and my hand wouldn't have been so tired!

Thanks to Renee Bowkett for the first 2 pictures!

3 comments:

  1. WOW!!! I would love to try making a cake one day... and you made it sound do easy. Great job, it looks amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jolayne, I just might totally copy your cake next month for Brianne's birthday! I was thinking of doing either a lady bug cake or a butterfly cake, so we'll see!

    Yours looks AMAZING! Did it take you a really long time to do?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I considered doing a bumblebee - basically the same as the ladybug but decorated with yellow and black stripes instead. My sister made a butterfly cake for Rhiannon a year or two ago - if you're looking for ideas on how to get the cakes shaped.

    It did take awhile. I made the cakes ahead of time and froze them so that I didn't have to do the whole thing at one go. I took them out before church the morning of her birthday dinner and they were ready to decorate by the time we got home. I made the icing batches the day before as well. It took me 3 or 4 hours after church to decorate, but I had issues with some of the icing and had to remake a batch. Let me know if you want to borrow any of my equipment (bowls, decorating bags and tips, etc).

    ReplyDelete

I always love to hear from you!