Tuesday, November 30, 2010

SAMM - Avocado and Shrimp Sandwiches

SAMM - Share a Meal Monday is a linkup that I've been reading on Laura's blog for awhile, and I finally have something worthy of sharing.

I first had one of these sandwiches years ago at a sandwich shop in the beltline in Calgary called 'The Alligator Pear' and decided it was time to try copying it.  Arvid and I love them (can't get Bryn to try it yet), so we've made them quite a few times.

Here's what you'll need for 4 sandwiches:

8 slices whole wheat bread
A little margerine
A little mayonaise
1 ripe avocado
1 tsp lemon juice
3/4 cup (or so) tiny shrimp, thawed
Sliced cheese - mozza or swiss

Start with nice soft whole wheat bread.  I generally make the bread we eat around here, but it often doesn't turn out very soft, so I've been buying store bought stuff for this - just the cheap brands, but they're fresh, so they're soft.

Mash the avocado flesh.  We like it a little chunky.  Then mix in the lemon juice.  Spread the bread slices with margerine (optional) and mayonaise (we've never tried Miracle Whip - I think it would taste funny).  For each sandwich, spread the avocado mixture on one slice, then top with the shrimp.  Lay slices of cheese on the other slice of bread, then put them together.

Not rocket science, but delicious!


Linking To: Share a Meal Monday

No comments:

Post a Comment

I always love to hear from you!