Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Yellow Cake

I don't really like yellow cake.  I think it has more to do with my love of chocolate cake than any antipathy towards yellow cake.  But it's also usually crumbly and fairly tasteless.  Until now.

I have a favourite chocolate cake recipe that I stole from what used to be RecipeZaar (now Food.com).  It is an amazing recipe, that I have had to do no tweaking to (almost unheard-of in my kitchen).  When people have requested a yellow cake, I've always gone with a boxed mix, since I didn't have a good recipe other than this chocolate one.  I decided last weekend that it was finally time to find a non-chocolate recipe good enough to serve with pride.  And rather than wade thru all the possibilities on all the websites, I thought: 'Why not go with what I already know is good?'.

So I converted my chocolate cake recipe to a yellow cake recipe.  I took out the cocoa, added more eggs and vanilla, and substituted butter for the oil, all in an attempt to add richness and flavour.  I made the recipe into cupcakes for a family reunion, but I had Arvid test them before serving them.  They were awesome!  I can't believe they turned out so good on the first try!  I was fully expecting to need a few more attempts to get it right, but they were perfect  - moist, rich, yummy, yellow cake goodness.

I no longer dislike yellow cake.

Sorry no pictures - it was a crazy weekend and I didn't have time.  I'll make them again and post pictures.

Here's the recipe:


Yellow Cake

Ingredients:
2 cups Sugar
2 ½ cups All-purpose Flour
1½ tsp Baking Powder
1½ tsp baking Soda
1 tsp Salt

4 Eggs
1 cup Milk
½ cup Melted Butter
4 tsp Vanilla Extract

¾ - 1 cup Boiling Water (¾ cup works in Calgary)

Directions:
1 – Preheat oven to 350°F.
2 – Grease (with shortening only!) and flour cake pans (or line cupcake molds with paper liners).
3 – In a large mixer bowl, stir together dry ingredients.
4 – Add eggs, milk, butter, and vanilla.  Beat on medium speed for 2 minutes.
5 – Stir in boiling water by hand.  Batter will be thin.
6 – Pour into prepared pan(s) – no more than 2/3 full or they will overflow.
7 – Bake:   30-35 minutes for 9-inch round pans
                35-40 minutes for 9x13 pan
                15-20 minutes for regular size cupcakes
                1 hour 15 minutes for 9” Pyrex bowl (cover for final 20 minutes)
        Until toothpick inserted in centre comes out clean.
8 – Cool 10 minutes in the pans.  Remove from pan to wire racks and cook completely before icing.
               
Makes:      2 - 9” round cakes, OR
                   1 – 9x13” rectangle cake, OR
                   24+ regular cupcakes, OR
                   1 – 9” Pyrex bowl cake, OR
                   1 – 8” round cake AND 12 cupcakes
                            
        DO NOT fill cake pans or cupcakes more than 2/3 full – they will overflow!

1 comment:

  1. Oh, I'm glad you put this up. Your cupcakes looked so good they went too quickly for me to get one. (It was probably for the best... my waistline suffered after the weekend!) I will definitely tuck this one away!

    ReplyDelete

I always love to hear from you!