Monday, November 14, 2011

Day #1 (let's be honest - week #1) of the learning happiness experiment


So, my daily blog post just didn't happen this week.  We were all sick with a nasty cold this week - coughs, plugged noses, pink eye, the works! Any extra time I had this week I spent sleeping - not blogging.  But we're on the mend, and my Henrik even slept through the night last night - 12 full, blissful hours - for the first time in his 7 months.  Needless to say I had an unusual amount of energy today.

On to the experiment...

The first day of Laura's series is all about telling our kids what to expect because:

"It’s human nature -- typically, we don’t like surprises. Little people, who are still learning the ropes and are easily overwhelmed, are even more afraid of the unknown, generally. So -- it’s only fair that we clue them in, have little chats about what they can expect, and let them know what we expect."

The challenge with this one is that's it's already something I do with my Bryn, so this wasn't something new.  But I do find that sometimes, when I give her a few warnings that something she's not fond of (bedtime, leaving her cousins' houses, etc) is going to happen soon, sometimes she responds better - no kicking and screaming fights and tantrums.  Sometimes.  I do think it's worth it.  When she responds badly anyway, I can forgive my mean mommy response ('I'll pick you up and take you out anyway') if I've given her fair warning.  

And the more often I can forgive myself the better. 

Tomorrow: Life Commandments 

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing this Jolayne. I had not thought about those chats being as important as they are. Last year in school I didn't realize how many reminders and points of contact I needed to have with my students. And they are teenagers. They still don't always react perfectly, but I feel like I've done better about helping them be warned about my expectations and things that are coming up.
    By the way, very cute phots.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cute photos! The warning thing is hit and miss here too. It is more often helpful than not so we continue.

    ReplyDelete

I always love to hear from you!