Tuesday, November 8, 2011

I'm coming out...

I have postpartum depression.

It's not something I like to talk about much - in fact I've only told one person outside my family.  It's mild and pretty manageable; most days I function just fine. But my emotions range from pretty grumpy to downright angry most days.  A good day means I'm just blah.

I've been trying to find something - anything almost to take the edge off my constant grumpiness.  I'm nursing my boy  (the absolute best part of motherhood for me), so I can't take anti-depressants or even St. John's Wort.  And I didn't hear about the great mood-lifting properties of placenta pills until it was way too late!  I already eat pretty well, and I get as much sleep as I can with a 7 month old that hasn't learned to sleep through the night, so that leaves, well, not much.  I came across this blog series  - "31 Days to Happier Children" and decided that I could give it a shot.  I want my kids to believe that they had a happy mommy, even if it is a bit of an act.

So here's the deal. Each evening I'm going to read one post about Laura's ideas on learning happiness.  The next day I'm going to try the idea.  That evening I will blog about my experience and read about tomorrow's idea.  Simple, eh?  Well, I've never written a daily blog.  And life is crazy, so I may not actually succeed.  But I'm going to try.

Tomorrow - Day #1: What to Expect

2 comments:

  1. I'm really looking forward to seeing your research and experiment results. Keep us posted, even if it doesn't happen every day.

    ReplyDelete

I always love to hear from you!