Tuesday, September 18, 2012

4 Ingredient Fix for Too-Fishy Fish

Nobody follows this blog for the recipes.  In fact, I'm pretty sure all my followers like me, not really my sad little attempt at blogging, but I'm getting better, right?

This recipe is actually one I found on Our Best Bites (a blog that you really should follow for the recipes - they're amazing!), but it's designed to go on pork chops, not fish.

I occasionally experiment by buying a kind of fish that we haven't had before, and sometimes I do well (Steelhead Trout = yum!) and sometimes I do really badly (Tipalia = yuck!), and sometimes it turns out somewhere in the middle.  Basa is somewhere in the middle.  I didn't think it was too bad, but Arvid thought it was too fishy.  So on went this sauce.  It's bold, super flavourful, and really easy.  You don't want to put this on a fish you like the taste of (read: Salmon), as it will completely hide it's flavour.  But it's great when you just need to use up that jumbo bag of basa fillets that you got for $2.99 that hubby doesn't love.

Ingredients:
Fishy fish of your choosing. About 4 servings worth.

Sauce:
1 1/2 TBSP Dijon or whole-grained Mustard
1 1/2 TBSP Honey
1 clove Garlic, minced or pressed
Splash Liquid Smoke











Yes, the glob in the bowl is honey.  I don't buy honey in cute little photogenic bear-shaped bottles.  In fact I don't buy honey at all.  I ask for it for Christmas and it usually arrives in large food storage buckets.  I love honey in big buckets.  It makes me feel safe.  Like huge packs of toilet paper.  But I think that's another post...


Method:
1 - Mix all the sauce ingredients together in a small bowl.


 2 - Place fish in a greased oven safe pan or dish. And season with salt and pepper.  I forgot to do this.  Don't forget.
3 - Spread sauce on fish.


4 - Broil for about 10 minutes per inch of fillet thickness, or until fish flesh is opaque and flakes with a fork.
  5 - Eat.











We had ours with beets.  And bread.  But the bread wasn't entertaining.  The pink teeth were.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I always love to hear from you!