Thursday, July 26, 2012

Car Seat Tray Revamp

I got this carseat tray at a consignment shop in Airdrie, Grow With Us.  I had been planning on making something like it for Bryn for our Lake trip this year, since I had no idea where to find one.  I'm so glad I found it, 'cause it saved me a lot of time and effort.

I did want it to have a magnetic top so that Bryn could play with her Melissa and Doug dress-up doll clothes.  So I bought some sheet metal (try the stuff in the ducting isle at Home Depot - it's much thinner).  I took out the liner that the tray came with traced it on the metal, and cut it out with tin snips.  I covered the edge with electrical tape, which was much easier than I thought it would be.

I wanted to give her a second game to play on the tray, so I printed some shapes on a printable magnet sheet that I had laying around, and coloured them in with crayons (I never use my colour printer, so the ink has all gone dry).  I cut them out (in front of NCIS reruns), drew corresponding shapes on the metal, and she'll have a fun little matching game that should keep her busy for a chunk of the trip.  Now, if only I could figure out how to keep Henrik busy for 6 hours!


By the way, Grow With Us is probably the best second-hand kids store I've been to in the Calgary area. Not that I've been to all that many, but this one was really great.  Room for the stroller, well organized clothes and toys, and I found everything I went for (and a few more things).

1 comment:

  1. That looks awesome! I love the shape matching, great idea.

    ReplyDelete

I always love to hear from you!